Should I invest in roadside assistance or insurance?

    RSA and Insurance are mutually exclusive concepts. If you are confused between the two of them and are thinking about which of the two to invest in, it is important to first understand what is included in these plans. Let’s dig deeper.

    Roadside Assistance is the support provided to the car owner in case of on-road vehicle breakdown due to some technical or mechanical failure. RSA is provided by insurance companies as an add-on to their policies as well as by standalone Roadside Assistance Providers like Allianz. The coverage depends and varies from plan to plan, some of which are-

    The assistance crew will assist the car owner with events like a flat tire, lost or stolen keys, dead battery, empty fuel tank, engine unable to start, etc. In case the owner left his key inside the car and has been locked out, the assistance crew will pick up the spare key and deliver it to the owner’s location.

If the vehicle is not being able to be repaired on the spot, it will be towed safely to the nearest garage or authorized safety center. Further, accidental towing is also covered in some plans.
If you get an empty tank in the middle of nowhere, or within the city limits, the RSA Provider will send the assistance crew to your location with fuel.
In case the repair cannot be conducted at the spot, some RSA providers will arrange for decent hotel accommodation so that you can rest and eat in peace while the vehicle is being attended to. However, the cost of accommodation will be borne by you.
The RSA provider will arrange for your onward journey via air/road/rail so that you can reach your destination.
In case of immobilization or accident of your vehicle, the RSA provider will send in medical assistance. The cost of treatment and other medical bills, however, will be borne by you.
RSA provider will assist you to get in touch with your family and relay urgent messages to inform them about your well-being.
In India, having vehicle insurance is a mandatory legal requirement before driving a car. Coverage depends upon the product; however, the available car Insurance coverages are-

 As per the motor vehicle act, 1988, liability coverage is mandatory. It provides insurance against claims resulting from damage and injuries to other vehicles or people. It covers the repair or replacement cost of the damaged property (vehicle). It covers the medical bills of the third party. It also covers the legal costs or pay-out required to be paid by the insured person if he is found legally liable.   

The coverage also includes third-party injury or death and damage to the third-party property(vehicle). 

It is not mandatory like liability coverage, and it is at your disposal whether to choose it in your coverage. It basically covers the physical injury claims of people who get injured in an accident. Regardless of whose fault it is, all medical bills of the driver, other passengers, and vehicle owners are paid by the insurance company.

If you want something to look after your car damage expense after an accident, go for collision cover. Further, it is recommended if there is a lien on your vehicle.

Remember to choose it as per your age of the vehicle- if it is new, choose a higher coverage, but for old vehicles, the cover can be as low as possible.

It includes all man-made and natural risk factors related to your vehicle, driver, passengers, and other person’s vehicle, driver, passengers. Natural calamities include weather, floods, fire, lightning, etc and man-made calamities include theft, riots, terrorist activity, and damage during travel, either by road, rail, water, or air. The cover also includes Personal Injury Coverage and third-party liability coverage.

    1. Your car gets involved in an accident.

    2. Non-collision physical damages, for instance, if the car gets damaged or windshield breaks in a storm.

That is why Insurance companies recommend taking Roadside Assistance Plans as add-ons- to assist with flat or punctured tires, lost key, battery jumpstart, towing, etc. RSA is basically what is not covered by the insurance policy,

Therefore, it is safe to say that roadside assistance should be taken as an add-on to your insurance policy, so that you are fully covered- whether in an accident or not. Hence, you should invest in insurance as well as roadside assistance.

It is important to understand that Insurance is basically compensation for specified loss, damage, or death; while Roadside Assistance is the assistance provided in case you are stuck with technical or mechanical failure of the vehicle like a dead battery, punctured tire, lost or stolen key, etc.

Both of the two coverages provide separate services, therefore investing in both, will cover you from all dimensions, leaving no stone unturned. Be it an incident as big as an accident or as minor as a flat tire, you are covered.

The coverages save you from a heavy dip on the wallet and keep you safe.

Having both the coverages provide peace of mind and a sense of safety by knowing that you can travel anywhere in the country and still have your back in-vehicle emergency situations.